Book clubs are part of what authors live for. I’d love to connect with your club either in person, by Skype, or speaker phone. Whichever way we link up, club members will receive free bookmarks, and I will either personally sign members’ copies of my books or send autographed bookplates. You can contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOOK CLUB READERS’ GUIDE FOR FLOWERS FOR THE LIVING
- What role does mental illness and the stigma against it play in this novel?
- How are Emma and Rusty influenced by their families?
- What would you have done if you were Emma after she found Marcus’ note?
- What kind of significant dilemmas have you been in when you had no good options to choose from?
- Do you think Rusty’s killing Marcus is reflective of recent controversial shootings of unarmed African-American crime suspects by white police officers? Why or why not?
- What role does weather play in this novel?
- Were you surprised that Emma’s marriage endured? Why or why not?
- How are Emma and Rusty different at the end of the novel than they were at its beginning?
BOOK CLUB READERS’ GUIDE FOR STANDING ON HOLY GROUND: A TRIUMPH OVER HATE CRIME IN THE DEEP SOUTH
- What were the differences between Ammie and Barbara?
- What did they have in common?
- Why was Ammie driven to help Barbara and the other members of St. John Baptist Church?
- Why did Ammie, Barbara, and their friends continue rebuilding the church despite the dangers they faced?
- What would you have done regarding Jonathan if you had been Barbara?
- Why do you think people commit hate crimes?
- Do you think race relations have improved or worsened during the past few years, and what do you believe has contributed to either the improvement or worsening?